Monday, July 23, 2012

A REAL Person (TrevorSpace)




I recently got this group message on TrevorSpace (the LGBTQ teen social network) 


"We wonder why the gay community is not taken Seriously. One reason is because most gay guys will jump on every dick they see even if they are dating someone else. Most gay guys are WHORES!!! Maybe if we all grew up a little then maybe we might get a little more support from some people. PICK ONE DICK AND STICK TO IT!!!


Listen up....all u guys who every time I try to inbox u send me back want nude pics...I'm sick of it so stop period."


and it got me thinking...


Lately I’ve been spending a lot of my time alone in my room, writing, drawing, watching movies and reading. But it’s been difficult to release a lot of my anxiety about through art or text. Talking to someone online even on the deepest level of connection cannot compare to a face to face “real” conversation.

It is hard to maintain a relationship that only exists through pieces of technology, because it is not “real”. It’s insanely difficult, even being a kid in the year 2012 to establish real connection through our technology, because it feels inauthentic.

 How can someone be real if you can’t touch them? Something so out of reach, even in its most realistic forms, is still a very abstract concept that is hard to embrace as “human”.  

Establishing ties and relationships with people on TrevorSpace is a novelty that very quickly wears off. I find it amazing how long distance relationships can actually exist in this world.

How can a relationship in which the opposing parties only exist within pieces of technology remain authentic? If nothing compares to “the real thing” then is it possible for people to ever be satisfied in this situation, even if it’s obviously temporary?

How can we be real even if we aren’t actually present

No comments:

Post a Comment